Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Sulphur For Beautiful Hair

My sister-in-law in Chicago, first mentioned Sulphur to me. I visited her and noticed her hair was gorgeous, healthy, thick, and very long. She attributed her healthy hair to sulphur and no longer getting her hair relaxed. I appreciate her sharing her "secret" with me. I've found that Sulphur truly is the "beauty mineral". Sulphur is a mineral present in all cells of the human body. It is most concentrated in hair, skin and nails. Sulphur has been called a “beauty mineral” and a “healing mineral” because of its ability to promote circulation and decrease inflammation. These qualities support the theory that when your body has the adequate amounts of sulphur, you can jump-start hair growth in people with sulphur deficiences that may be causing thinning hair or hair loss.


Sulphur has become a popular nutritional supplement and topical treatment, thanks to methylsulfonylmethane, or MSM (MSM is the organic form of sulphur). In the book, The Miracle of MSM, by Drs. Stanley Jacob and Ronald Lawrence, they state that MSM is considered to be safe with no chance of overdose. They state that even after years of taking more than 2,000 mg of MSM each day, patients showed no sign of toxicity. That’s because as a water-soluble mineral, any excess MSM not used by the body is quickly flushed out.

A Sulphur deficiency can certainly cause hair loss because sulphur plays a vital role in maintaining healthy hair and has been used to improve hair growth from times back. It is believed that a substantial dose of sulphur rejuvenates and revives hair, making it grow longer faster.

Sulfur is called nature's "beauty mineral," because it keeps the skin smooth and youthful, and the hair glossy. Sulphur provides the right amount of growth nutrients that will help to keep your hair, skin and nails looking their very best. In fact, having the right amount of sulfur in your diet will not only help to keep your hair thick and healthy it can also add shine and luster.

There are several ways that you can tell if you are suffering from a deficiency in sulfur. Apart from a general thinning of the hair, you may notice that the strands of hair may have a brittle look or feel to them. You may have noticed that your skin has become unusually dry and your nails feel quite soft and fragile. You may feel a general soreness in your muscles and joints and you are perhaps feeling a little more tired than usual.

Having a word with your doctor, get medical tests to rule out any other medical reasons for these symptoms. If everything is okay try a sulfur rich diet through changing your dietary habits, taking food supplements and using sulfur rich creams applied to the scalp, will certainly help towards making sure your crowning glory is receiving the essential mineral that it needs to slow down the loss of hair and to promote its healthy growth.

While visiting my sister-in-law, in Chicago I noticed that her hair was gorgeous. It was thick, long, and healthy it was really beautiful. She does not relax her hair, she gets her hair pressed with a hot comb. Certainly that has something to do with the healthiness of her hair, because it has been my experience that relaxers convenient as they are, they thin the hair. She however, clued me in on her secret. She uses sulphur on her scalp. She shared some of her powdered sulphur with me and so I've been on my own healthy hair quest. My sister-in-law believes that black women have to stop doing so much to their hair. "Leave it alone" she said, then maybe it will grow.

Some of you might say just use "Sulphur 8". I say to you, go ahead use it if you want, I've been out on the beauty forums and folks are saying that it works, but I'm sorry that stuff stinks, and it is just too greasy for my taste. Yes, I do have half a jar, and no, I do not want to throw it away. I just use it on my daughter's hair, she has braids so no worries there. When it is gone I will use my home made sulphur concoction on her hair.

The most common side effect of MSM is gastrointestinal problems (diarrhea), rash, and headache. Taking MSM with food tends to decrease the GI upset. If you take too much, expect to spend some extra time in the bathroom. Minor cramping is also possible.

MSM can cause a thinning of the blood, so if you're taking blood thinners, make sure to check with your doctor before beginning this. It is usually safe to take, but you may require a lowering of the dosage of your other medication due to this effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment